Saturday, January 5, 2013

Hot chocolate bar



I have one last Christmas dessert tutorial for all of you who have holiday parties extending into January. We had our last holiday party this weekend. The drink of the day was spiked hot chocolate. This was so simple to make and it tasted delicious!

Ingredients:
- Milk or water (I used milk)
- Hot chocolate mix*
- Whipped cream or cool whip
- Whipped cream vodka or Baileys Irish Cream
- Marshmallows
- Peppermint candy
- Sprinkles

* I went with a hot chocolate mix instead of making this from scratch. I've never made hot chocolate from scratch and wasn't really up for taking it on while hosting a party. I decided to put my efforts into "dressing up" the hot chocolate.

How to do this:
1. Prepare marshmallow snowmen before the party. Skewer three large marshmallows. Draw faces using a toothpick and black decorating gel.


These are the finished marshmallows. I kept my snowmen pretty simple, but I've seen some fancier ones online. I particularly like the ones on Dukes and Duchesses.



2. Prepare the peppermint candy garnish. Unwrap the candies and place in a quart-size Ziploc bag. Use a mallet to crush the candy into small pieces.

3. Heat milk in sauce pan, whisking it regularly to prevent scorching. Don't let the milk boil.

4. Mix the hot cocoa mix with the milk.

5. Add some whipped cream vodka or Baileys Irish cream, if you want to spike your hot chocolate. We made alcohol-free hot chocolate for the kids and they were still a big hit!

6. Add a dollop of whipped cream. Then garnish with the peppermint candy and some sprinkles. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Super cute. Chloe would love those snowmen...she's already pretty obsessed with marshmallows and snowmen, so the combination of the two would probably send her over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew is also really into hot chocolate. He LOVED the marshmallows. He even helped me with skewering them. I bet it would be fun to have a play date and let them decorate their own marshmallows and put their hot chocolates together.

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Grab A Button

Missy Inspired Button
Blogging tips
[feedly mini]