Monday, November 19, 2012

Top 10 apps for Women

When I find something I like, I tend to share it. I've even been accused of being a walking infomercial for some of my favorite products. What can I say? I'm excitable! Over the last year, I've found a lot of apps that entertain me and make my life easier.

For this list, I focused on the apps that help me be productive. I skipped including Facebook, since I'm not very productive on it! Here are some more of my favorites applications.

Most of the apps on this list are free. Of the ones I paid for, I feel that I've more than gotten my moneys worth.

1. Pinterest. Free. I *may* be obsessed with Pinterest. I don't do much actual "pinning" while on
my phone--I don't find it very easy to pin from websites on my iPhone. However, I often refer to my Pinterest boards when I'm shopping--whether it's for decorations or craft ideas.

2. Feedly. Free. I read a lot of decorating, organization, and general interest blogs. Feedly helps me keep them all in one place and scan through them. I use Feedly most often on my phone, although it also has a website interface. It's great for catching up with the week's blog posts while watching Saturday-morning cartoons.

3. Stylebook. $3.99. My love of this app probably deserves its own post. For now, I'll say that it helps me organize my entire wardrobe. I have taken pictures of every item in my closet, from sweaters, to scarves, to shoes. It was quite an undertaking, but now it's so worth it to have every piece of my wardrobe itemized. I can put together different looks, plan my outfits for the week, and even plan my packing lists for trips. Although I think the app is a little pricey, it's paid for itself each time I avoid buying yet another cardigan in a color that I already own!

Feedly
Stylebook
4. TripIt. Free. This app is great for organizing business trips and even personal travel. Once you set up your account, you can forward all hotel and flight reservations to the email address provided to you by the app. It will organize each of your trips from this information.

5. Couch-to-5K. Free. I don't think I could have started running without this app. It took me all the way from walking to being able to run for 3+ miles. I just used the free app from Zen Labs and it worked fine for me. It tells you when to walk and when to run to help build your endurance. Now I've graduated to the MapMyRun app, but I've gotten a lot of friends--and even my husband--interested in running.

Couch-to-5K
TripIt
6. GroceryIQ. Free. My husband and I love this app. It allows us to save our grocery list from week to week. We have the app synced between our phones, so we can each add items to the grocery list throughout the week. It also lets you scan bar codes and read lists, which are great time-saving features. Brilliant!

Grocery IQ
Instapaper
7. Amazon PriceCheck. Free. I'm a die-hard Amazon fan. Their Subscribe-n-Save program and Amazon Prime are keys to keeping me sane. I have all of our diapers, wipes, and even vitamins scheduled through Amazon so I don't have to make extra trips to the store. The PriceCheck app lets me scan the barcode of any item while I'm shopping, then compares the store's price to the price on Amazon.Guess what? Amazon usually wins the price war.

8. Instapaper. $3.99. I often come across article links on Facebook or news sites that I don't have time to read. I've added Instapaper's "Read Later" button on my browser. When I click this button, the article is fed into Instaper, without the ads. It's not the prettiest app, but it's very useful for those long waits at the doctor's office.


9. Waze. Free. This app meets all my navigational needs. Gone are the days of having an outdated GPS. Waze isn't perfect, but it gets me where I need to go and you can't beat the price. I don't think I would ever purchase another GPS, now that so many good navigational apps are available.

10 Goodreads. Free. I'm one of those people who always has to be working toward a goal and reading books counts toward my goals! I typically read 2-3 books at a time--one on my kindle, an audiobook for my commute to work, and a parenting book to keep me sane with an active toddler.

I like being able to track all the books I've read and I like to see the recommendations from Goodreads. They are typically right on and I've discovered some great books based on their recommendations and some of the book lists on that site. It's also fun to see what my friends are reading through this site.

So, that's my list of favorite apps. What apps did I miss that should be on this list? I'd love some new ideas, so feel free to share your favorites.



2 comments:

  1. Great list! I'm so impressed you took a picture of every item in your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. The toughest part is maintaining the wardrobe app and adding new pictures whenever I buy new clothes!

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Grab A Button

Missy Inspired Button
Blogging tips
[feedly mini]