Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Spring Chalk-Bird Flower Pots


Aren't these pots pretty? I made them for the grandparents for Easter. I'm pretty happy with how they came out. What do you think?


Materials and Supplies

  • Terra cotta pots
  • Chalkboard paint
  • Craft paint (pastel colors)
  • Black craft paint
  • Stencil
  • Foam brush
  • Foam spouncer
  • Paint brush
  • Chalk
 

How to Make This

1.  Paint on several coats of chalkboard paint. 

I started with the chalkboard paint. However, since the pots are so porous, it took SIX coats of chalkboard paint to get enough coverage. Next time, I would start with a primer or craft paint first to get more coverage.


2. Prepare your stencils.

I bought a wall stencil with three birds. I decided to cut this into three birds so each pot would be different.


3. Tape the stencil to the pots.

Try to get them flush to the pots so there are no gaps.



4. Use the foam spouncer to fill in the stencil with craft paint. 

Use a light touch when you do this so the paint doesn't seep under the stencil. I did three coats of the blue paint.




5. Paint the edge of the saucer rim.

I just dabbed it on with the spouncer. At the end, I tried to draw a straight line with a paint brush, but I'm not sure that was necessary.


6. Untape the stencil.

The lines of my stencil weren't as crisp as I had hoped. I used a paint brush and black craft paint to make the lines a little smoother.


7. Write the name on the pot with chalk.



8. Add flowers or herbs to the pots.





Link Parties
Click here to see the link parties I visit each week.



12 comments:

  1. Hi there: I'm connecting to you through the Friday Aloha Hop & have subscribed through Bloglovin. Love your ideas & look forward to seeing more. I bet your grandparents adored these gifts.

    Hope you might stop by and check out my blog too: kennedycreativeworks.tumblr.com
    Best, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving your blog :D

    following your gfc and bloglovin :) keep blogging~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! Posting to Pinterest right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visit and follow from Happy Friday Blog Hop.
    Thanks for link up at my blog.
    Have a nice day.
    Nan
    http://www.blogshe.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea!! New follower from Aloha Friday blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pots are beautiful! What a cute idea! I'm a new GFC follower from the Aloha Blog Hop and would love it if you checked out and follwed my blog too :) Have a great weekend!

    Celena
    http://mystayathomemamalife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty ... Love the birds stenciled on them.

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would make a nice mother's day gift for kids to make. Might have to do that with my daycare kids. =D Thanks for the idea!

    Thought I'd stop by the Happy Friday blog hop and say hi! Would love a visit back if interested ~ thanks! I'm following you on GFC/Linky Followers, FB, Pinterest & Twitter. =D

    Tina 'the book lady'

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out fantastic!! Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! :) The grandparents must have loved them. You're so creative.

    *Hugs*
    Happy Tuesday,
    Melly

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! Love the prints on the pot :)
    xoxo,
    Nikki at www.bedazzlesafterdark.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Grab A Button

Missy Inspired Button
Blogging tips
[feedly mini]