Monday, December 24, 2012

Handprint ornaments: Snowman family


We LOVE hand-crafted Christmas decorations around these parts. We also love little toddler hands. What could be better than putting the two together? 

I came across this idea on a  Little Bit Funky. They were super-easy and fast to make. The whole project took 30 minutes (not including paint-drying time). It was also pretty cheap because I had most of the supplies on hand. I only had to buy the ornaments and the Sharpies. Check out how I did it!

Materials and supplies:
- Round ornaments (I used matte white)
- Sharpie markers--ultra fine point  - black, orange, red
- Craft paint (I used light blue)
- Foam brush
- Paper plate (for paint)
- Ribbon
- Scissors
- Little toddler hands :)



How to make these ornaments
Step one: Paint your toddler's hands with craft paint, using a foam brush.

Step two: Place the ornament in the palm of your toddler's hands and close his fingers around the ornament. Wait about three seconds, then open his fingers.


Tip: I had the best luck with matte ornaments. We tried doing a few handprints on clear ornaments and ornaments with a shiny finish, but the handprints smeared. You might be able to pull off these ornaments with clear or shiny finishes with an older toddler who would stay more still.

Step three: Place the ornaments to dry. I just used the holders that came with the ornament packaging.

Step four: Repeat steps 1-3 for each ornament. I had the best luck when I painted his hands again for each new ornament.

Step five: Let the ornaments dry for about an hour.

Step six: Use your black Sharpie and draw the eyes, mouth, top hat, and three buttons.

Step seven: Use your orange Sharpie to draw a little triangle for each nose.


Step eight: Use your red Sharpie to draw a scarf (optional). I added this step because I thought my snowmen needed some accessories. I just drew a thick line, then added some wispy lines on the end, for fringe.

Step nine: Write your toddler's name and year on the other side of the ornament. I printed the letters, then added little dots at the end of each stroke to make it look nice.

Step ten: Cut the ribbon to hang the ornament. Tie the ribbon into a knot and cut off any excess ribbon.


Step eleven: Watch grandparent's swoon over a homemade ornament from their grandchild. :)





0 comments:

Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Grab A Button

Missy Inspired Button
Blogging tips
[feedly mini]