Monday, October 29, 2012

Botanical prints with burlap mats

In May, Mr. O and I spent a lovely weekend in Portland, ME. Of course, we did some shopping--they have some great shops in Portland!

We went to this used bookstore and found four botanical prints that we loved. They were lithographs from the late 1800s. We picked up all four for about $90. A little pricey, but they fit so well with our house, so we couldn't resist

Unfortunately, the pictures weren't a standard size and I had a lot of trouble finding a frame and mat to fit it. I priced some custom mats and even considered cutting my own mat, but I wanted to try something a little more creative. While perusing Pinterest, I saw some great pictures with burlap.

Inspiration picture: 
Jones Design Company

This picture got me thinking that maybe I could make my own mat. I went to Michaels and bought three yards of burlap fabric for $10--I probably could have found this cheaper, but I was in Michaels already and decided to just go for it.

I really like how they came out--and now I'm obsessed with burlap. What have you done with burlap fabric? Have you worked them into any projects yet?


1 comment:

  1. I am stopping by from Whimsy Wednesday...and I stumbled upon this AMAZNG post. I am pinning this immediately! I love burlap, and it looks great as a mat!
    I wanted to invite you to a link party I am hosting right now...a link party for OLD posts. You know, those things we posted when only our moms and husbands were reading our blogs...or is that just me?? Anyway, let's get some more traffic and pins out of those posts!
    Hope to see you there!
    http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com/2013/02/and-oldie-but-goodie-link-party-5-and.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Grab A Button

Missy Inspired Button
Blogging tips
[feedly mini]